Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Needles

Saturday morning Neil, Dave and I headed out to tackle the 3 Needles - South, Middle and North Needle. We parked at Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve and rode our bikes 5.5 km to the start of the trail at Hydraulic Creek. The climb up Hydraulic Creek is a very steep one. This is my 4th time up to the South Needle but I have never ventured further to the Middle and North Needle. It was a warm day and I wore long sleeves and 3/4 bottoms to try and protect myself from the scratches from the bush - it helped but I felt over dressed in the hot sun!
We were enjoying the views on the Middle Needle when who should appear coming from the direction we were about to go but the Bagger Champion Bill Maurer. We had corresponded with Bill earlier in the week and knew he was planning to go in the opposite direction and expected to see him out there somewhere. Nevertheless, this encounter on top of the Needle was quit incredible, we didn't see anyone else all day. A special moment - the Bagger Champion and the Bagger Queen meeting on top of the Middle Needle!
Dave, myself and Bill.
I'm there - the top of the North Needle.
Neil and I - North Needle
They are called Needles for a reason, we went down this to the patch of snow in the Col below.
The journey down. It is straight down behind Dave - is a shear drop off. I have never hung on so tight to roots and blueberry bushes. I could tell that Dave and Neil were nervous for me (and for themselves too!) in some sections.
This photo shows the thickness of the growth we travelled through, no trail. I was very thankful for all the bushes to hold onto.
Pushing and pulling through the bushes - it was a lot of bushwhacking!
Down and back to our bikes. Another 5.5km ride back to the truck - we did it TEAM DOD!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Team DOD! Tough chicks rule!!! Way to go on another tough route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a tough route in some spots...the rock was a bit wet which made some sections very slippery. I had to focus to keep my mind from wandering into panic mode. My shoulders are sore today from swinging on ropes and roots!
    Nice to have those Needles done! Thanks for the tips about the long sleeves/gloves and going backwards. My downhill slide now has options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys rock!!! That looks like some steep mother of you know what!! M

    ReplyDelete