Sunday, March 27, 2011

Checking out the Diez Vista Trail - will I or won't I do the event?


Dave, Craig, Myself and Liza at a view point on the Diez Vista Trail.


View looking West to Vancouver. Deep Cove in the foreground (the finish of the KneeKnacker and Vancouver 100)


Sunday's run on the Lakeview Trail.

Saturday the weather turned out much better than the forecast - spring was in the air! We decided to go to check out some sections of an upcoming 50km trail event in the Buntzen/Sasamat Lake area. Craig, Liza and Dave met Neil and I at Sasamat Lake to do the first part of the course that takes you up a big climb to the Diez Vista Trail. I haven't been on this trail for a couple of years - I always forget how rooty and rough it is especially on the down side. I always feel so slow and cautious coming down this trail. My knee was bugging me - must have been those two 50km events we ran the last two Saturdays! Once down we discovered the current detours on the trail which will make the event take a little different route this year. We ignored the barriers and went as we had planned. We managed to get through the flooded areas without any difficulty. The journey took us 4.5 hours -a little longer than we had guesstimated. Oh well...late again for the family party! Neil and I managed to make the salad we were bringing in record time. Liza had to do an airport pick-up, maybe the flight was delayed! I think this is common for ultra runners. Helen - Dave's wife seemed to expect us to be longer than we thought. Today Neil and I were going to Marilyn and Ron's for dinner who happen to live in the same area where we were running on Saturday. We snuck in a 2 hour run on some more of the trails. It was great to catch up with Marilyn and Ron for some yummy Indian Food. Neil has signed up for the upcoming aforementioned Diez Vista trail run - I have another week left to decide! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. it's time for a rest Carolyn. Save it for the Vancouver 100. I need you with me in the dark ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But maybe it would be good training! Why don't you do it too??

    ReplyDelete